Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Summer in Zambia: Homeland

In July, we went to Zambia to celebrate our engagement with my family there.

It was my fiancé's first trip to Africa so we were both excited for the adventure that lay ahead of us. After flying and transiting for almost a day, we finally landed at Lusaka International Airport; where we were picked up by my parents.

Since our engagement party was within 5 days of our arrival, we went into the city center the next day to buy some African print material for our outfits; it took as a long while to find something good. Mainly because the vendors at the market kept increasing the price when they saw that we were together (smh). So sometimes, I asked him to walk behind me with my cousin; while I went ahead to check the materials and ask about the price. We eventually found a lovely print that suited us both; and our outfits were made by one of my childhood friend's. She did such an amazing job in such a short time.

We spent day two to three in Livingstone. We traveled to visit the famous Victoria Falls (Mosi-oa-Tunya’ – ‘The Smoke that Thunders) and to link up with my bestie, who I hadn't seen for 9 whole years! I repeat, NINE WHOLE YEARS! Gosh, God is so faithful. I had tried previous years to link up with her in South Africa but it wasn't possible and we were both so grateful that we could finally meet! Especially that she'd be there for the engagement party! We went to Victoria Falls together, we had so much fun...we got pretty drenched from the Falls showers, admired the rainbows which were popping up everywhere and crossed the extremely slippery bridge scared for our lives but super happy still. Livingstone was amazing expect for the mosquitoes, my fiancé was literally scared for his life but we survived. No one got Malaria.


After Livingstone, we headed back to Lusaka and left for Kitwe. Kitwe is my hometown and that was where we celebrated the engagement party. A day before the party, my fiancé and I, were separately taught about my tribe's marital traditional practices and he asked my hand-in marriage the traditional way.  Before the engagement party, my girls and I had worship and prayer session; then we got ready. Although, our engagement party started late (African timing), we had such a great time. Our guests enjoyed ourselves and it was a joyous occasion. I got to see family members and family friends that I hadn't seen in a LONG while! And I was proposed to a 2nd time lol 😁




We traveled back to Lusaka the next day. Two days later, my fiancé went back to Germany (work duties). I stayed in Zambia for another week or so. I got to hang out with my sisters from Pinky Promise Zambia. I was blessed by the preaching about the Recovery Process. This is something that I really miss in Belgium; seeing young women on fire for Christ. We also had a picnic at the university campus, we were shared our thoughts and opinions and ate some good food! I was recharged and refilled spiritually.



Overall, we had such a great trip. My fiancé experienced Zambia for himself. He now knows where I come from, he got to meet my extended family. He also knows my friends personally. We were truly blessed.



If you want someone to sew you some amazing clothes, here is the link to my friend's Facebook page: Tangible Fashions.

No comments:

Post a Comment