Sunday, January 14, 2018

Wins, Walls, Wisdoms: 2017

2017 went by soooo fast! I can't believe we are already 2 weeks into 2018!

I don't know about you but the time between Christmas and New Year's Eve isn't enough for me to properly reflect on what happened during the year.  Although, I made a video with a selection of pictures from the year, it was very restrictive and done impromptu. In addition, I think I reflect better when I write...so here goes a better reflection of my 2017!

I will review my year by classifying the highlights in three categories: wins, walls, wisdoms.

Wins: blessings

1. I graduated from university! 
This was such a big blessing! I didn't see it coming when I started, the fact that God saw me through 5 years of university in Dutch! Gosh, even now I can't believe it. I still feel like a student (especially since I look like one, petite girl blessings lol). 

2. My sister got married!
Ahhh! Another hug blessing for our family! My eldest sister found her prince charming. The wedding was soo amazing!!!! We were blessed in many ways: the weather was so great that day, the guests were joyful for the couple and we danced till the lights went out (hehehehe). 

3. My fiancé and I went to Zambia to celebrate our engagement. And I got to see my bestie after 9 years of long distance friendship! NINE YEARS!

4. I started working! 
The way I got my job just blew my mind. God is so intentional (will blog on this later,  so you better come back). 

5. I finally started learning German. And the learning continues.  

6. I went to a Hillsong Young and Free concert! My second Christian concert.

7.  I saw God provide for my church in so many amazing ways.

And much much more 😂😁. Like I said, just the highlights.

"Let all that I am praise the LORD; may I never forget the good things he does for me" - Psalm 103:2


Walls: challenges

1. I was worried about money. 
I decided to stop my weekend student job so that I could concentrate on my dissertation but this meant that I had to be more careful with my money. But I became a bit too careful, this almost ruined one of my friendships but thank God for forgiveness!

2. I realized that I have commitment issues.
I felt the urge to quite a lot of things for numerous reasons, for example: if something required more effort than I wanted to put in, if it was too much out of  my comfort-zone, if I felt it was boring or below me and at times if I was convinced that I could easily replace it with a better option.

3. I struggled with comparison, approval...the whole gang.
The struggle is still real. I got robbed of my joy on numerous occasions because of discontentment and the inability to see who I am in Christ. Uniquely loved (will be writing a post on this later also.)

4. I wasn't very committed to God and His Word.
You read it right. I was selfish. 
This literally sums up all the walls I experienced above. 
I didn't intentionally pursue my relationship with God. It's a hard pill to swallow, but the truth is the truth; and only the truth can set me free. Pretending that it was all cherries and roses won't get me anyway. 

 "Then Jesus turned to the Jews who had claimed to believe in him. “If you stick with this, living out what I tell you, you are my disciples for sure. Then you will experience for yourselves the truth, and the truth will free you." - John 8:32

Wisdoms: lessons

Based on my wins and walls, I learned a lot about God, myself and others. These are the wisdoms, and the verses they are based on, that I am taking with me into 2018; wisdoms that I want to develop even more. 

1. God first.
 I need God more and more, every single day. I choose to walk in truth (God's Word).
It is good for me to draw near to God, and He shall draw near to me. I will be intentional with our relationship.  I am not going to rush ahead or stay behind Him, instead I'll walk beside Him. So far, Heather Lindsey's journal challenge which I am doing with some sisters is sooo helpful, I advice you to start it if you can, link here.

Come near to God and he will come near to you - James 4:8
  
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearer - 1Tim 4:16

As my relationship with God becomes richer, the following wisdoms will also flourish.

2.  My identity is in Christ.
I am a prototype.
This is a big growing point for me. I am not to compare myself  or others with anyone.  

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!  - Galatians 2: 20-21

3. God is intentional. 
Nothing in my life is by chance. I choose to trust God in the hills and valleys.

You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your book! - Psalm 139:16

You are good and do only good - Psalm 119: 68 

4. Attitude & perspective is so crucial!
I won't let emotions etc get the best of me. No sir. Healthy mind, healthy life. I'll guard my heart and mind.

The mind is it's own place and in itself, can make a hell of heave and a heaven of hell -  John Milton.

I am excited for 2018! So many powerful Scriptural prophesies have been spoken about it! It will be my best year yet!

Thank you so much for reading! I encourage you to take some time to reflect over 2017 and get super duper excited for 2018!


"Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don’t drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it." - 2 Cor 13:5-6

Blessings,

Twisile xoxo



 

No comments:

Post a Comment